LOCATION First reported by Blom and La Farge, who saw the stone in 1925 in the pavement in front of a house in Ocosingo. By 1944 Monument 1 was supporting a column in the kitchen of the same house, where it was seen by Morley and Thompson. Its present location is unknown. Franz Termer photographed the stone, but the date of his photograph is not clear, especially as the photograph is labeled "San Carlos" (Altamirano). If this is correct, the stone must have passed through Altamirano, sometime after 1944, on its journey to oblivion.
CONDITION Less than half of the original stone was found by Blom. The surviving fragment had suffered some chipping, and the glyphs were weathered so that very little fine detail had survived.
MATERIAL Unknown; probably yellow sandstone.
SHAPE Stela base fragment.
|MW side p1
|MW side p2
PHOTOGRAPHS Termer (side p1) and Blom, 1925 (side p2).
DRAWINGS Mathews, based on Blom's and Termer's photographs.