PREVIOUS DESIGNATIONS Stela 1 (Spinden 1913, pI. 25, no. 4); T-28 (810m and La Farge 1927); Stela 12 (Morley 1944b); T-28 (Morley 1944a, p. 71).
LOCATION Blom (Blom and La Farge 1927, p. 299) reports seeing the statue in front of the Bishop's Palace in San Cristobal de las Casas, whither, according to Blom, it had been brought by Bishop Orozco y Jimenez. But when Tozzer took the photo reproduced here it appears still to have been in Ocosingo, perhaps outside the curate's house, for there Blom saw a "small plug [tenon?] undoubtedly belonging to it." It is now in the museum at Tuxtla Gutierrez.
CONDITION After the statue had been broken just above the belt, the upper part was lost, and the lower survived intact. Since Tozzer photographed it, a fragment carrying most of the belt has been broken or cut off. Before this, the back had been disfigured by a channel, 14 cm deep at the bottom, 20 cm at top, chiseled vertically down the center of the inscription. The glyphs have also been worked over with a sharp tool since their exposure to weathering ceased.
MATERIAL Pale brown sandstone, with a single flaw visible on the figure's left hip.
SHAPE A human figure carved in the round, backed by an almost hemicylindrical surface-perhaps a highly stylized cloak-upon which the inscription was carved. Instead of the usual square base and narrow tenon, this has a full-width tenon of inverted cone (or frustum) shape.
CARVED AREAS Carved in the round.
PHOTOGRAPHS Graham and A. M. Tozzer.
DRAWINGS Mathews, based on field drawings and stereophotos.