Uxmal, Ball-court Sculptures 1 and 2
LOCATION Each of the two ball-court rings was set centrally in the vertical walls that rise behind the benches of the ball court: SSc1 in Structure 12M-7 on the western side of the playing alley, and BSc.2 in Structure 12M-8 on the opposite side. In 1987 the remains of both rings, including tenons, were removed to the Museu de Yucatan for restoration and the fabrication of copies to be installed at the site. Wh8t may well have been another fragment was one of five objects collected in 1882 by Louis Ayme, then U.S. Consul in Merida. Listed as C2368 in the accessions catalogue of the Peabody Museum of Harvard University, it is described as "Fragment of sculptured stone ring from Uxmal," but unfortunately it has not yet been located in the Museum's collections.
CONDITION Four main fragments survive from each of the rings, one of which in both cases consists of the tenon with a portion of the inscribed ring attached. Additional clean breaks go through block M of BSc.1 and P of BSc.2. Degree of weathering varies from slight to severe.
SHAPE Rings with integral tenons for mounting.
CARVED AREAS Both rings are carved on the two flat sides.
PHOTOGJ~APHS Graham. They are mosaics made from photographs of individual fragments (fitting fragments could not be placed together for photography because of iron reinforcing rods set into the stone by Alberto Ruz as a preliminary to a restoration never completed).
DRAWINGS Graham, based on field drawings and stereophotographs.