LOCATION The altar was discovered, apparently in the late 1880s, by E. H. Thompson. It was found standing upsidedown. At some unknown date, perhaps in the 19205, it was removed from Uxmal and taken to the Museo de Arqueologia, Merida. Later it was placed in the garden of the Eremita de Santa Isabel, Merida. In about 1987 it was installed in the Museo de Yucatan, Merida.
CONDITION When found, the altar was in one piece, though visibly cracked in two places; later, and probably in the course
of removal, it broke and was subsequently repaired with cement. Some loss of hieroglyphic text resulted. Unfortunately the early photographs were taken only from the front, and the plaster cast made of it by Thompson for the World's Columbian Exhibition of 1893, afterwards deposited in the Field Museum, was long ago discarded. Loss of detail by weathering has not been too severe.
SHAPE A tapered column, or truncated cone.
CARVED AREAS A band round the top of the curved surface with a panel below.
PHOTOGRAPHS Altar: Graham; plaster cast: Field Museum photo, by kind permission; entire altar, as found: Morley.
DRAWINGS Graham, based on field drawings and photographs.