LOCATION Found in 1926 by the Second CIW Expedition to Coba. Most of the shaft lay face up and broken into many pieces at the foot of the subsidiary, or western, stairway of Structure C-1 (the Castillo). Later, INAH workers found the butt in situ, set into the stairway, with is front surface in line with the second row of steps. There it remains, with the fragments lying scattered in the vicinity.
CONDITION Broken into five large fragments, plus butt. About one quarter of the text carved in low relief on the butt remains legible; the upper fragments are for the most part severely eroded.
MATERIAL Limestone containing some shells; hard but evidently soluble.
SHAPE Sides probably parallel, with a rounded top.
HLC 2.95 m approx.
EPB 0.53 m approx.
WBC 1.23 m
MTh 0.35 m
Rel 2.0 cm
DRAWING Graham, based on field drawings by von Euw.