LOCATION Monument 8 was first reported by Blomm and La Farge, who found it in 1925 on the Ubala ranch, a short distance west of Ocosingo. The two pieces that comprise the stone remained at Ubala until recently (Morley and Thompson saw the lower piece in 1944). Sometime around 1970, the upper part was taken to San Cristobal de Las Casas, where it is now on the ranch of Dr. Jose Correa Suarez. The lower part was located, still at Ubala, by members of the French team in 1980. It was transported by them to Tonina and now lies in the museum at the site.
CONDITION The monument is broken into two pieces. The human figures have been intentionally mutilated. Some chipping and weathering have also taken place.
MATERIAL Sandstone; yellow, with some red.
SHAPE Stela base, but much taller than other stela bases at Tonina. Monument 8 is virtually cubic in shape. In addition, the interior hole is bottle-shaped, rather than cylindrical.
|MW side 1
|MW side 2
|WSc side 2
CARVED AREAS Vertical sides.
PHOTOGRAPHS Mathews, 1980.
DRAWINGS Mathews, based on field drawings corrected by artificial light.