Stone shield with mask, Hieroglyphic Stairway, Copan, Honduras. Peabody Museum Expedition, 1893. Photo by Hillel Burger. PM 93-27-20/C855.
The Peabody Museum has conducted excavations and explorations in Mexico and Central America almost from its first decade. The holdings include many fine Maya and Aztec collections from Mexico, Honduras, and Nicaragua, as well as colonial and historical materials from Mexico. The collections also include significant holdings from lower Central America. Ethnographic items include early twentieth-century textiles, folk art, and masks.
Some of these links will take you to OASIS (the Online Archival Search Information System), a union catalog of Finding Aids created by archival and manuscript repositories at Harvard. Collections represented on OASIS have links to the OASIS homepage. To learn more about OASIS and to view Peabody Museum Finding Aids online, follow the OASIS link, then use the keywords below to narrow your search.
- Alice Melvin Collection of modern Mexican folk art.
- Aztec figurines, Mexico.
- Carnegie Institute of Washington, Photographs, 1930s.
- Carved and painted masks from Mexico and Guatemala.
- Chichen Itza and Culhuacan, Mexico.
- Cocle and Veraguas (Panama) excavations.
- Goodman, Joseph T., Papers, 1888-1914.
- Images of Copan, Honduras, late 19th-century.
- Maya sites of Copan, Honduras; Labna, Mexico; Altar de Sacrificios, Kaminaljuyu, Seibal, Holmul, Piedras Negras and Uaxactun, all Guatemala.
- Nuttall, Zelia (1857-1933), Papers 1886–1912.
- Osteological collections from Chihuahua, Coahuila, Northern Yucatan, Mexico.
- Paintings by Tatiana Proskouriakof, Antonio Tejeda, and Jean Charlot depicting the monumental architecture of Meso-America (Carnegie Institute of Washington).
- Playa de los Muertos and Ulua Valley, Honduras, excavations.
- Ricketson, Oliver Garrison, Jr., papers and photographs, 1920-1946.
- Textiles from Guatemala, Honduras, and Panama.
- Type sherd series from Altar de Sacificios, Guatemala, and Barton Ramie, Belize.
- Altar Q and Copan
- Corpus of Maya Hieroglyphic Inscriptions
- Encounters with the Americas
- Saving the Maya Past for the Future: Copán's New Sculpture Museum
- Saving the Maya Past for the Future: Copán's New Sculpture Museum. En español!
See the Research Visits for more information on accessing collections.