"New Awatovi"

Hattie Cosgrove working in the pottery tent. PM 995-11-10/99994.1.21
A visiting group of Hopi schoolchildren, 1938. PM 995-11-10/99994.1.20
J. O. Brew (in hat) leads a site tour, 1938. PM 995-11-10/99994.1.19
The Awatovi Visitors Book, 22–28 July 1938. PM 995-11-10/99994.1.24
An example of potsherds that the exhibition team sorted, Awatovi. PM 35-126-10/5360
Reconstruction of pottery from Awatovi. PM 37-111-10/9982
The tagging of ceramics from Awatovi. PM 36-131-10/7819

The expedition created its own community at a camp they called “New Awatovi.” By the second season, residences, workspaces, and storerooms were wooden-floored tents. Under the direction of Hattie Cosgrove, ceramics were sorted, reconstructed, and tagged in the pottery tent, then shipped to the Peabody Museum. The one substantial building was the cook shack, beloved by staff and crew. Hundreds of scholars, journalists, and Hopi schoolchildren learned about the site's history and enjoyed the camp's hospitality during the expedition’s five-year run.