Policies on Video and Filming Objects
Educational or Commercial Uses
The Museum welcomes the public, media, and research interest in the collections, and we try to accommodate requests to photograph, videotape, or film objects whenever possible.
Anyone photographing Museum collections or in the galleries must sign an agreement covering terms, conditions, procedures, and intellectual property rights before photographing or filming.
Fees & Procedures
- The fee for filming objects in an office or other nonpublic location is $150 per hour commercial rate with a 2-hour minimum. The location fee for filming in the galleries is $1,500 per day, or $750 per half-day. This fee is payable to the Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology upon commencement of filming.
- A list of objects to be filmed must be provided to the Peabody Museum prior to filming with at least two-weeks' advance notice. Selecting these objects might require an advance visit to the Peabody by the filmmaker.
- A schedule for filming must be agreed in advance with the Peabody Museum. Filming hours are on weekdays only, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Filming after 5 p.m. or on holidays is not permitted. All filming days must start in the morning, even if only a half-day is anticipated.
- Secure storage areas are not available as filming venues. All logistical concerns such as freight elevator access, power requirements, etc., must be arranged prior to filming.
- Galleries may not be closed to the public during filming without prior arrangement. The third-floor galleries serve as emergency exit routes and may not be closed under any circumstances.
- All Museum objects may be handled only by Peabody Museum–designated personnel. A responsible staff member will be present at all times during the filming to facilitate the project. Exhibit cases cannot be opened for filming without prior arrangement.
- No equipment or weight should be placed on or against exhibit cases.
- All personnel associated with the filming in the Museum will be issued a badge that must be worn at all times. Persons found filming in the galleries without a badge will be asked to leave.
- The Peabody Museum will provide a film contract that must be signed prior to filming.
- Payment of location use or rental fees does not constitute an endorsement by the Peabody Museum of products and services portrayed in the final product.
- The Producer agrees to identify Peabody Museum staff or affiliates interviewed in the film as Peabody Museum staff or affiliates in the film in appropriate closing credits or to identify objects as being in the collections of the Peabody Museum.
- Permission to film or photograph in the Peabody Museum galleries does not extend to the galleries of the Harvard Museum of Natural History in the same building. Permission to film in HMNH galleries must be requested from HMNH (Blue Magruder, 617-496-0049, email@example.com).
Permission for photography or filming in the Museum may be granted only by the External Relations office. Requests of any kind from the media and all requests for photography or filming in the galleries should be directed to:
Faith Sutter, Media and Communications Specialist 617-495-3397
Please make your request at least two weeks prior to the date of filming; requests for still photography, a week ahead.
Requests from researchers for photographs of objects in the collections or copies of existing images should be directed to: