Current & Past News & Events
Press releases require Adobe Reader.
Click on the topics below to read or download releases.
3/6/14 New Exhibition: The Legacy of Penobscot Canoes: A View from the River
2/11/14 New Exhibition: The Legacy of Penobscot Canoes: A View from the River
11/12/13 New application of peptide mass fingerprinting in the identification of materials used in cultural objects at the Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology
5/31/13 Peabody Museum Names Yto Barrada as the 2013 Robert Gardner Fellow in Photography
3/26/13 Public Divination Lecture: "Foresight, Forecasting, and the Future in Ancient Mesopotamia"
3/15/13 Exhibition Opening Reception and Book Signing: Stephen Dupont: Papua New Guinea Portraits and Diaries
3/4/13 Divination Lecture: "Perfect Model: The Past, Present, and Future of Prediction"
3/1/13 Divination Lecture: "Divination Through the History of Dreaming"
2/1/13 Lecture: "Everyday Life in Colonial Peru: Archaeology and Texts of an Early Town"
1/10/12 Divination Lecture: "Happiness: What Your Mother Didn’t Tell You"
12/17/12 Lecture: "The Other American Revolution: Archaeology and the Pueblo Revolt of 1680"
12/5/12 New Director to Lead Harvard Museums of Science and Culture
10/26/12 Divination Lecture: "Apocalypse Soon? How the World Ends (or Doesn’t) in Religions of the World"
9/24/12 Two Day of the Dead Events: Twice the Fun!
9/20/12 Divination Lecture: "Silent Voices of African Divination Systems"
9/17/12 Lecture: "Unearthing Xultun: New Discoveries in Maya Science and Art"
9/11/12 Lecture: "The Lure of the Labret: Haida Masks and Dolls Made for the Souvenir Market"
9/5/12 Divination Lecture: "Arousing Images: The Poetry of Divination and the Divination of Poetry"
8/5/12 New Admission Charges at Peabody Museum
6/5/12 New Director at the Peabody Museum
5/30/12 New Exhibition Opens June 28: Daguerreotype to Digital: Anthropology and Photography
3/27/12 El "Dr. Loco" se presenta con ZUMIX
3/27/12 "Dr. Loco" performs with ZUMIX
3/22/12 Lecture and Tasting: "Man Food Fire: The Evolution of Barbecue"
3/19/12 Trash Talk Lecture: "Tornadoes, Twin Towers, and Hurricanes: 20 Years of Urban Disaster Clean-up"
3/8/12 Film Clips & Conversation: "Garbage City and the Informal Economy"
3/6/12 Two Great Latino Music Performances with "Dr. Loco"
2/22/12 Hallam L. Movius, Jr. Lecture: Recent Discoveries in the Altai: Issues on the Evolution of Homo Sapiens
2/7/12 Trash Talk Lecture: Waste Ecologies: The Landscape of Energy Cycling, Material Movements, and Resource Exchanges
1/23/12 Gordon R. Willey Lecture: "Maya and the Idea of Empire: A View from the Field"
1/9/12 Trash Talk Lecture: Terrible and Charismatic Waste: A Close Reading of Ocean Plastics
12/20/11 Trash Talk Lecture: "Stuff by the Yard: Campus Materials Management"
12/19/11 Monkey King: A Chinese New Year Special Performance
11/1/11 Trash Talk Lecture: "Products, Plastics, Putrefaction, and Power"
10/20/11 New Exhibition Opening: Shooting for Peace: Youth Behind the Lens
- 10/20/11 Lecture: "Animals and Humans in Old Norse Archaeology and Religion"
- 10/17/11 Museum to Conserve Rare Alutiiq Warrior Kayak in Gallery
- 10/13/11 Lecture and Book Signing: The Copan Sculpture Museum
- 9/26/11 Trash Talk lecture 10/26: Trash Track
- 9/20/11 Lecture: The Ground Remembers: Archaeology of Harvard's Founding
- 9/13/11 2011 Tatiana Proskouriakoff Award Lecture: New Research on the Aztec Script: A True Writing System
- 9/6/11 Trash Talk Lecture 10/6/11: The Archaeologist's View of Trash
- 8/30/11 News: Archaeologists Re-Open Indian College Excavation in Harvard Yard
- 8/24/11 Trash Talk Lecture: Rags, Bones, and Plastic Bags: Trash in Industrial America
- 8/17/11 Peabody Museum Wins $150,000 Grant for Archaeological Collection
- 8/15/11 Trash Talk Lecture: Garbage: Learning to Unsee
- 8/8/11 News: New Exhibition Opens November 17, 2011: Shooting for Peace: Youth Behind the Lens
- 4/29/11 News: Peabody Museum Names Miki Kratsman as the 2011 Robert Gardner Fellow in Photography
- 4/6/11 Exhibition Opening and Reception: Native Life in the Americas: Artists’ Views
- 3/28/11 Visible Language Series Lecture: The Teotihuacan Cosmogram and Polity: Update on the
Sacred City and its Three Monuments
- 3/21/11 Visible Language Series Lecture: A Brief History of the Spectre of the Internet and the Death of Writing
- 3/14/11 Lecture: Excavating the Great Aztec Temple: Achievements and Perspectives
- 3/7/11 Visible Language Series Lecture: A War of Words: Rethinking Plains Indian "Ledger Art"
- 3/1/11 Gordon R. Willey Lecture: The Teotihuacan Cosmogram and Polity: Update on the Sacred City and its Three Monuments
- 2/28/11 Visible Language Series Lecture: Adopting and Adapting Writing in Native Nations of the Northeast
- 2/10/11 Hallam L. Movius, Jr. Lecture: The Evolution of Big-Game Hunting: Protein, Fat, or Politics?
- 2/4/11 Exhibition opening and book signing: House of Love: Photographic Fiction, Dayanita Singh
- 1/24/11 Lecture: Visible Language Series Lecture: The Living Sign: Maya Hieroglyphs and Vitalized Writing
- 1/10/11 Lecture: Visible Language Series Lecture: To Write or Knot? Another Route to Record Keeping in the Ancient Americas
- 1/5/11 Publication: New Book in the Peabody Museum Collection Series: The Moche of Ancient Peru: Media and Messages
- 1/3/11 Events: Spring 2011 Family Programs
- 11/8/10 Lecture: Technology, Tombs, and Texts: Uncovering the Ancient Maya Past
- 11/4/10 Event: New England Native Crafts Show and Sale
- 11/4/10 Lecture: Visible Language Series Lecture: The Alphabet: Its Origins and History
- 10/20/10 News: House of Love: New Exhibition and Book by Photographer Dayanita Singh
- 10/4/10 Events: Two Day of the Dead Events: Twice the Fun!
- 9/9/10 Event: Family Event: Zooarchaeology Lab Open House
- 9/8/10 Lectures: Two Lectures in October on Visible Language
- 9/8/10 Publication: New Robert Gardner Anthology: Just Representations
- 9/7/10 Lecture: Lecture: Visible Language: On the Origins and Development of Writing
- 8/25/10 Lectures: Visible Language Series Begins
- 8/23/10 News: Traces of a Lost Language Discovered
- 5/3/10 News: Awards for Two Peabody Museum Press Books
- 4/12/10 Event: Peabody Museum at Harvard Square's Bookish Ball
- 4/9/10 News: Photographer Kevin Bubriski Named as 2010-2011 Robert Gardner Visiting Artist Fellow at the Peabody Museum
- 4/7/10 News Peabody Museum of Archaeology & Ethnology Awarded $215,000 NEH Grant to Put Historic Photographs Online
- 4/5/10 News: New Exhibition: Spying on the Past: Declassified Satellite Images and Archaeology opens April 29, 2010
- 3/8/10 Lecture: Gordon R. Willey Lecture, Four Thousand Years Ago in Coastal Peru: America's First Civilization?
- 2/18/10 News: Peabody Museum Names Stephen Dupont as the 2010 Robert Gardner Fellow in Photography
- 2/11/10 Hallam L. Movius, Jr. Lecture: Hunters and Artists of Late Ice Age Europe: The Magdalenian World
- 2/10/10 Family Programs: New Family Programs and Workshops This Spring at the Peabody Museum
- 2/3/10 Exhibition and Opening: Translating Encounters: Travel and Transformation in the Early Seventeenth Century opens March 25, 2010
- 1/22/10 News: New Exhibition: Spying on the Past: Declassified Satellite Images and Archaeology opens April 29, 2010
- 1/5/10 News: New Winter Family Programs at the Peabody Museum
- 12/16/09 News: Harvard Archaeologists Find Traces of 17th-Century Indian College in the Yard
- 10/19/09 Lecture: Much Ado about Nothing: 2012 and the Maya
- 10/2/09 Family Event and Fiesta: Day of the Dead: Two Events, Twice the Fun!
- 9/15/09 Lecture: Sixteenth-Century Mexican Map Reveals Origin Story
- 9/10/09 Open House: Zooarchaeology Lab on Columbus Day
- 9/9/09 Lecture: Monseñor Federico Lunardi (1880–1954): The Italian Diplomat-Archaeologist and Mayan National Identity in Honduras
- 9/4/09 Lecture Lecture: Hearing Voices
- 9/4/09 News: Fall Archaeological Dig in Harvard Yard Explores 17th-Century Harvard
- 9/1/09 News: Sacred Spaces book to be published in October
- 9/1/09 Exhibition and Book Signing News: Sacred Spaces: Reflections on a Sufi Path opens 10/22/09
- 8/31/09 News: Celebrate Archaeology Month (October) at the Peabody Museum
- 8/19/09 News: Smithsonian Museum Day at the Peabody with Family Event
- 8/4/09 News: Robert Gardner's new book to be published this fall
- 6/12/09 News: Summer and Fall Archaeological Digs in Harvard Yard
- 6/8/09 News: Peabody Museum wins IMLS grant for Map Collection
- 6/8/09 News: Awatovi book wins IPPY Award
- 5/21/09 News: Peabody Museum puts 27,000 photos on the web.
- Exhibition: Guy Tillim exhibition open through Sept. 7, 2009
- 5/20/09 Alessandra Sanguinetti named 2009 Robert Gardner Fellow in Photography.
- 4/14/09 New date for Lecture: Starting at Standing Rock: Following Custer and Sitting Bull to the Little Big Horn. Speaker: Nathaniel Philbrick.
- 4/13/09 Exhibition Opening: Masked Festivals of Canton Bo, Southwest Africa.
- 3/26/09 Exhibition Opening and Book Signing: Avenue Patrice Lumumba: Photographs by Guy Tillim.
- 3/18/09 Family Event: Maize at the Museum during School Vacation Week.
- 3/16/09 Founder's Lecture: Entangled at Catalhoyuk: Material Life in the First Cities. Speaker: Ian Hodder, Ph.D.
- 3/9/09 News: Preserving Rare Daguerreotypes.
- 2/26/09 Exhibit: Wiyohpiyata: Lakota Images of the Contested West.
- 2/26/09 Weekend of the Americas Seminar: Visualizing Power: Plains Pictographic Arts.
- 2/26/09 Lecture: Starting at Standing Rock: Following Custer and Sitting Bull to the Little Big Horn. Speaker: Nathaniel Philbrick.
- 2/19/09 Gordon R. Willey Lecture: Itza and Kowaj: Conflicts and Factions in the Last Maya Kingdom. Speaker: Prudence Rice, Ph.D.
- 2/12/09 Lecture: How Much is Heritage Worth? Australia's Greatest Rock Art Competes with its Most Valuable Industry. Speaker: Iain Davidson.
- 1/26/09 Hallam L. Movius Lecture: The Shock of the Old: New Discoveries in Ice Age Art. Speaker: Paul Bahn, Ph.D.
- 1/11/09 Meet the Filmmakers: New Harvard Student Ethnographic Works.
- 11/4/08 Lecture: The Ancient Maya in Modern Honduras: Archaeology, Anthropology, and History as Nationalist Imagination. Speaker: Dario Euraque, Ph.D.
- 10/23/08 Seminar: Pseudo-Archaeology: Supermarket Aisle Archaeology and the Bible. Speakers: Jonathan L. Reed, Ken Feder, Eric Cline, Peter Feinman.
- 10/9/08 Exhibit: Digging Veritas: The Archaeology and History of the Indian College and Student Life at Colonial Harvard.
- 10/6/08 Event: Zooarchaeology Lab Open House.
- 10/8/08 Event: Day of the Dead Family Event and Fiesta.
- 9/29/08 Event: Irma Bailey Native American Arts & Crafts Show and Sale.
- 9/22/08 Lecture: Finding His Focus: The Extraordinary Robert Burkitt in Copán. Speaker: Elin Danien.
- 9/17/08 Exhibit: Remembering Awatovi: The Story of an Archaeological Expedition in Northern Arizona, 1935-1939.
- 9/8/08 Event: Harvard Museums Community Day.
- 9/8/08 Curators’ Talk: Remix: Indigenous Identities Today. Speakers: Tanner Amdur-Clark , Caitlin Finch, LeRenzo Tolbert-Malco. Click here.
- 6/5/08 Dayanita Singh of New Delhi, India, is awarded the Robert Gardner Fellowship in Photography.
- 4/17/08 Lecture: The State of Native Nations. Speaker: Joseph Kalt.
- 4/10/08 Lecture: National Museum of the American Indian: Reflections. Speaker: W. Richard West.
- 3/30/08 Exhibit: Fragile Memories: Images of Archaeology and Community at Copan, 1891–1900.
- 3/25/08 Exhibit: Remix: Indigenous Identities in the 21st Century.
- 3/20/08 Lecture: Diet, Energy, and Evolution. Speaker: Leslie Aiello, PhD.
- 3/4/08 Lecture: Modern Human Behavior. Speaker: Fred Wendorf.
- 2/28/08 Lecture: All in the Family: Reconstructing Classic Maya Royal Genealogies. Speaker: Peter L. Mathews.
- 2/21/08 Lecture: Japan as Artifact and Archive. Speaker: Eleanor M. Hight.
- 1/24/08 Exhibit: Storied Walls: Murals of the Americas.
- 1/24/08 Lecture: Hobbits in the Haystack. Speaker: William L. Jungers.
- 10/29/07 Lecture: Trade Routes: Collecting Photographs, Making Anthropology. Speaker: Elizabeth Edwards.
- 10/10/07 Lecture: Don Francisco’s Nose-Piece: Forming New Empires in Renaissance America. Speaker: Felipe Fernández-Armesto, PhD.
- 10/10/07 Event: Día de los Muertos/The Day of the Dead.
- 10/08/07 Event: Zooarchaeology Lab Open House.
- 9/10/07 Event: The Irma Bailey Native American Arts and Crafts Show and Sale.
- 8/31/07 Discovery: Groundbreaking Study Extracts Human DNA from Ancient Artifacts.