2014 Summer Solstice Celebration: Night at the Harvard Museums of Science and Culture
Saturday, June 21, 2014, 5:00-9:00 pm. Public information: 617-496-1027
Kick off summer with the Harvard Museums of Science & Culture’s annual Summer Solstice celebration! Enjoy a fun evening of telescope viewings, music, food, and hands-on activities for all ages at the The Plaza next to 1 Oxford Street, with free nighttime admission to the Harvard Semitic Museum, Collection of Historical Scientific Instruments, Peabody Museum of Archaeology & Ethnology, and Harvard Museum of Natural History. You won’t want to miss this special summer night!
Free event parking in the 52 Oxford Street Garage.
5:00 pm Opening Ceremony with La Piñata
Join us as we welcome the summer season with a special ceremony rooted in Mexican indigenous traditions presented by La Piñata—The Latin American Family Cultural Network.
6:00 pm Cambridge Symphony Chamber Players
Enjoy an eclectic mix of music performed by the Highland Brass Ensemble of the Cambridge Symphony Orchestra.
7:00 pm Off the Ground Circus Arts
Keep your eyes open for stilt walkers, jugglers, and acrobats!
7:30 pm Marcus Santos and Bloco AfroBrazil
Dance to upbeat Brazilian grooves combining Samba and Axé with Funk, Rock, Jazz, and Hip Hop.
Activities at The Plaza - 5:00 pm 'til sunset
• Design your very own flower crown with seasonal flowers and garden greens.
• Get decorated with a temporary solar tattoo.
• Explore the diversity of insects that visit summer picnics, and consider the ecological benefits of these fascinating creatures.
• Use rocks to make musical instruments, like lithophones, and try them out for yourself.
• Create your own festive sunset shaker to celebrate the beginning of summer.
• Observe the sun and other celestial bodies with the Amateur Telescope Makers of Boston.
• Learn the astronomical meaning of the summer solstice from a team of astronomers and educators from Harvard University.
• Pick up a copy of our Summer Solstice Museum Highlights gallery exploration and spend the evening at the Harvard Museums of Science & Culture. Admission is free from 5:00 to 9:00 pm.
Summer Solstice 2014 is free and open to the public. In case of rain, the event will move inside The Plaza tent.
The Plaza--next to Harvard's Science Center at 1 Oxford Street, near Memorial Hall--is a 6-minute walk through Harvard Yard from the Harvard Square Red Line T stop.