LOCATION This stela was shown to members of the Third CIW Coba Expedition by Carmen Chai, their guide, in 1926. It stood, and still stands, in an enclosure built on a small platform, Structure A-9.
CONDITION Intact. Some areas of the front are severely pitted; the back is in better condition.
MATERIAL Limestone containing flaws, such as the void at Glyph B18.
SHAPE From the front, the sides converge slightly until, at three-quarters height, there is a discontinuity on the right-hand side. The top is flat with rounded corners. The front is somewhat convex; the back convex except lower down where it is concave. On the right-hand side, a layer of shells and other inclusions may have been responsible for displacement of the glyph column to the right, but we can suggest no explanation for its further displacement lower down.
HLC 2.92 m
MW 1.43 m
WBC 1.43 m
MTh 0.36 m
Rel 2.5 cm
CARVED AREAS All four sides. On both sides, the inscriptions extend round their edges and onto the back of the stela, the most prominent in this respect being Glyphs W19-22.
PHOTOGRAPHS Graham; images of both sides are composites of two photos.
DRAWING Front and sides, von Euw, with revisions by Graham; back, Graham. All were based on von Euw's field drawings corrected by artificial light.