PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATIONS AT THE SITE
The first mention of Coba in print is due to John Lloyd Stephens (1843, vol. 2, pp. 340, 341). In 1842, Stephens, with his companions Frederick Catherwood and Samuel Cabot, had set out from Chichen Itza heading east,Tulum being their intended destination. On their way, the cura of Chemax showed them a report describing his parish, in which it was stated that at a distance of eight leagues and near one of three lakes, there lay a ruined city named Coba. In it was a building that the Indians called the Monjas, whichconsisted of various ranges of two stories, all roofed with arches finished with masonry of rough stone, the size of the rooms being six square yards.The floors were intact, and on the walls of one second-story room were painted figures in various attitudes. From that building there was a calzada, or paved road, ten or twelve yards wide, running–and here was the only serious error–towards the southeast to a terminus that had not been established, but some argued that it went in the direction of Chichen Itza.
For once, Stephens chose not to follow up an enticing lead, perhaps for lack of a guide with firsthand knowledge of the site; besides, his goal was Tulum, and he was worried that his worn shoe leather might not carry him even that far.
Another forty years would pass before a visitor seriously interested in Coba was to reach the site. This was Juan Peón Contreras (or Contreras Elizalde as he also styled himself), who was then director of the Museo de Yucatán (Millet 1988). He made the arduous journey in September 1882, and is now remembered for the four naive pen-and-ink sketches that he made at the ruins (prints made from them exist in the Peabody Museum and in the collection of Raúl Pavón Abreu in Campeche).
Nine years later, Teobert Maler visited Coba. The legacy of his two-day visit is a description written in Spanish (Maler 1932 and 1944), plus a single surviving print of his photograph of the temple on top of Structure C-l (Benavides 1981b, fig. 19).
The next visitor of consequence was Thomas Gann, M.D., an amateur archaeologist and writer of successful popular books wherein he described his adventures and discoveries among Maya ruins. In February 1926, while serving as an honorary member of the Carnegie Institution of Washington (CIW) staff working at Chichen Itza, Gann took time off to visit Coba, accompanied by E. L. Crandall, a photographer employed by the CIW. In his next book he would describe many features of the ruins for the first time and publish sketches of three hieroglyphic tablets found while journeying along the sacbe, or ancient roadway (Gann 1926, pp. 111-113). Photographs of these tablets and three others were later published by Alfonso Villa Rojas (see below).
In describing the ruins upon his return to Chichen Itza, Gann spoke of the large mounds he had sighted, but not visited for lack of time, lying to
the northeast of the main group. It was to examine these that Alfred Kidder and Eric Thompson went for a two-day inspection of the site in March. Two months later Thompson was again at Coba, forming with Jean Charlot the Third CIW Expedition. On this trip their guide, Carmen Chai, showed them the Macanxoc Group, a discovery that led to the departure of the Fourth CIW Expedition, since Sylvanus Morley wanted Thompson to show him the new stelae (Morley 1926, pp. 274-277).
In February 1929, the Fifth CIW Expedition briefly visited Coba, consisting only of Harry Pollock and field assistants. A year later, again in February, Pollock returned with Thompson for a three-week sojourn, the latter accompanied by his wife on their honeymoon. In July of the same year Pollock was back in Coba for two weeks, accompanied by Gustav Strömsvik.
In 1932 H. B. Roberts opened a number of trenches in Group B to collect sherds (Brainerd 1958, p. 10).
None of these expeditions to Coba lasted more than three weeks–most of them only a matter of days–yet the amount of information compiled and presented in A Preliminary Study of the Ruins of Cobá, Quintana Roo, Mexico (Thompson et al. 1932) is truly impressive.
Over the next forty years, additions to this body of knowledge were few. In 1933 Villa Rojas, workmg for the CIW, confirmed Thompson’s speculation that the destination of Sacbe 1 might be Yaxuna. Starting at Yaxuna with six helpers, he plotted the 100-km course of the causeway, noting features along the way, including SIX hieroglyphic tablets spaced at roughly kilometer intervals over a stretch lying between 15 and 10km west of Coba (Villa Rojas 1934, pp. 206, 207).
In July 1937, the young E. W. Andrews IV spent two weeks at the site with two friends. They discovered Stela 24 (Andrews 1938), and a shaft perforated with a square hole, later designated by Navarrete as Stela 26 (Navarrete et al. 1979, p. 69). They followed Sacbe 15 to its terminus, a large structure in a group which Andrews named Kitamna, and they discovered Sacbe 17.
In 1938, Cyrus Lundell leading the CIW Botanical Expedition to Quintana Roo (Lundell 1938), discovered Stela 28. He also mentioned an interesting find in one of the plazas: an orange grove, apparently long established, in the shade of high ramón forest. This confirms a report of orange trees at Coba in the 1890s (Folan 1983, p. 3). At the time of the Thompson’s and Pollock’s visits there was no resident population, merely a seasonally occupied chiclero camp, but thatched houses are shown on the lakeshore in one of the Contreras’s drawings. The â€śso-called old Spanish wallsâ€ť reported in the site by Pollock (1930, 24 February) may confirm the existence of an earlier occupation in historic times, although it is conceivable he mistook pre-Columbian boundary walls for colonial or nineteenth century dry-stone walls.
Lundell also describes a vast area of land to the west of Coba as desolate, the result of annual dry-season fires for at least the six preceding years, with a few remaining fire-resistant species attesting to old high forest. The mantle of soil had eroded, leaving barren stretches of pitted white limestone. East of Coba, fire destruction had been less severe. He mentions, too, the new "emergency airfield," which extended along the north side of Grupo Coba. It was almost certainly built for Pan-American Airways when their long range service into Latin America was being developed; a similar emergency field was maintained, complete with drums of aviation gasoline, at La Libertad, Peten, until the 1960s.
In 1948 two graduate students in archaeology, William and Michael Coe, visited Coba, intent on seeking the terminus of Sacbe 15. They were unaware, unfortunately, that Andrews had already reported it. In an editor’s note following their report (Coe and Coe 1949) Thompson blames himself as editor for failing to detect the repetition of prior work in their contribution, while excusing the young authors for ignorance of a paper published in a foreign journal. But the Coes reported the previously unknown Sacbes 18 and 19 and mapped the large mound at the terminus of Sacbe 17, which they named Pech Mul (they were unlucky again in failing to complete their circuit of its platform, or they might have discovered the sacbe leading out of it, no. 21).
In 1972 the Instituto Nacional de Antropologi;a e Historia began a program of investigation and later of consolidation at Coba, in response to the planned hotel development at Cancún, and at the urgings of Infratur, government-backed agency charged with developing the infrastructure for tourism; disappointingly, no sister agency was created to support archaeology (it might have been Infradig).
The first phase was carried out by Carlos Navarrete, Maria JosĂ© Con, and Alejandro Martinez Muriel in September and October 1972 (Navarrete et al. 1979). Their mission was to survey the actual state of the site, establish boundaries for the portion to be declared an archaeological zone, and plan the pathways and cleared areas. The boundaries of the park that was later created are illustrated by Alfredo Barrera Rubio (1976, p. 9).
Expectations of new discoveries were borne out when El Cono (StructureD-6 ) and Grupo Las Pinturas came to light, among other features. In the same year, much of Grupo Coba was cleared on the instructions of Raúl Pavón Abreu; not even its tall ramón trees were spared.
In 1975 a branch road from the asphalted highway being built from Tulum to Nuevo X-Can reached Coba (fortunately the road engineers heeded objections by archaeologists and abandoned their original plan of incorporating Sacbe 3 in the roadbed). A project camp was built in 1973, and in 1974 the Proyecto Coba proper, under the auspices of the Centro Regional del Sureste of INAH and directed by Norberto González Crespo, was able to begin its operations. The first field director was Piedad Peniche, followed in 1975 by Antonio Benavides. During the three-year existence of the project, portions of the site were cleared and structures excavated and consolidated, (the Castillo and the Pinturas Group by Peniche; the Iglesia by Benavides and Jaime Garduño; El Cono by Benavides and Fernando Robles); the sacbes were investigated by Folan and by Benavides, who added 26 to the list of 19 previously known; the ceramics from test pits and trenches were studied by Robles (1980); and Jaime Garduño (1979) surveyed two transects of the site, one of 10 km north-south and another of 5 km east-west.
A separate but contemporary project was the Proyecto Cartográfico Arqueológico de Coba under the join direction of William J. Folan and George Stuart of the National Geographic Society, which funded it (Folan and Stuart 1977 and Folan et al. 1983); this is further described below.
In 1975 an independent study of wall paintings at the site was made by Marine Fettweiss (1980, 1988).
In 1989 investigation and consolidation of the secondary stairway of the Castillo was carried out by Luis Leyra Guillermo, and in 1992 INAH inaugurated a new program of clearing and consolidating the structures forming the eastern side of the plaza of Grupo Coba, this under the direction of Alejandro Martinez Muriel.
In about 1990 coring of sediments in Lago Coba was carried out, with determination of the limnological effect of human occupation in the drainage area as one of its purposes. At a depth corresponding to about 1900 B.P., highly eutrophic conditions were evident, following agricultural disturbance indicated by a high level of maize pollen (Whitmore et al. 1996, p. 278).
The record of sculpture presented in this fascicle is based on work by Eric von Euw during visits to the site in 1975, 1976, and 1978. His work was supplemented by Ian Graham in 1990, 1992, 1994, and 1996, these brief visits having been chiefly devoted to mapping.
NOTES ON THE RUINS The terrain in and around Coba is strikingly flat, although punctuated by some slight rises. One of the more pronounced of these was chosen as the site of the Nohoch Mul Group, and across Lago Macanxoc the Uitzil Mul Group stands on another ridge. Lesser rises support some of the outlying groups forming the termini of sacbes. The area is notable for four permanent lakes, which probably owe their formation to the pores of the rock having been sealed by organic matter. There are areas of swamp (akalche), and cenotes, and at least one rock pool (haltun).
The site consists of about a dozen groups, each connected to another by a sacbe. Over 40 of these internal sacbes have been identified, with lengths ranging from 6 m to 6 km (Benavides 1981a); two others lead to more distant sites.
The heart of the site in Classic times was certainly Grupo Coba (Group B). This is a very densely packed assemblage of temple mounds and large, range-type structures, many of them contiguous and forming courts. Among them stand two tall pyramids, Structures B-1 and B-22 (CIW structure-numbers, originally printed in roman numerals, are here, elsewhere in the Corpus, given arabic numerals). Structure B-1, La Iglesia, faces west across a raised forecourt to the main plaza; it is a nine-tiered, Late Classic pyramid, with the addition of a small Postclassic temple on top, reached by a divided stairway. Close to the north side of La Iglesia there is a ball court, unusual in having a playing alley provided with only a vestigial bench and, as recent work has shown, panels depicting prisoners set into the sloping walls as markers.
The second temple, Structure 22, is ruinous, retaining no architectural Detail in its upper half. A third temple of a very different description is seen m Structure B-30, apparently a flat-roofed building with a triple doorway supported by two piers formed of stacked, almost square stone blocks about .05 m thick, 1 m wide, and 0.85 m deep. The approach to this must have been impressive: devotees had to ascend a very wide and shallow
stairway, cross a wide court, ascend a second shallow stairway, and cross another wide court before ascending a third and steeper stairway.
Several palaces within this complex of buildings deserve mention. Structures B-28 and B-33 were of two stories, the former also enclosing a small
court; another palace, Structure B-36, with a view of the lake, contained nine or ten rooms; and Structure B-38 is notable for a room 3.95 m wide and still partially vaulted. Its sloping upper zone above the cornice and details of its interior openings are reminiscent of Palenque.
At the southwest extremity of Group B is found a sascabera with a small building at its western edge facing an even smaller building built on the opposite lip of the rock cap; the latter contains a tiny shrine, and beneath it a narrow, vaulted tunnel leads back into the excavated space below.
For further information on the architecture of Group B, the reader is referred to Pollock’s detailed description (Thompson et al. 1932, pp. 28-74) and to the summaries of information gained by excavation supplied by Benavides (1981a, pp. 30-54) and by Folan et al. (1983, pp. 65-71).
The outlook from Group B to the south is across Lago Macanxoc to the outlying groups known as Uitzil Mul and Domingo Falcon. To the north
and east the view, if unencumbered by forest, would embrace the beginning of Sacbe 3, leading north to San Pedro, with, to the right of it, an extensive level area or plaza sometimes referred to as la gran nivelación. Folan somewhat confusingly translates this as "The Great Platform" (Folan et al. 1983, p. 51), and includes within it the Nohoch Mul Group, even though this stands on considerably higher ground. Across this space runs another sacbe clearly originating from Group B, Sacbe 4, which runs northeast to Group C (Grupo Nohoch Mul). Other sacbes run west and south, passing between Lagos Coba and Macanxoc.
La gran nivelación is bounded on the east by Sacbe 8, and a wedge-shaped portion of it lying between Sacbes 8 and 4, and between Group C (or Grupo Nohoch Mul) and Lago Macanxoc, has been designated as Group D. Scattered within its southern half are a number of substantial structures, including Las Pinturas, a Tulum-style temple 8 m high, embellished with wall paintings, not only within it, but also outside above the lintel of the main entrance (Mural 1).With their backs close to Sacbe 8 are three temples in a row, each with low flanking platforms, while across the plaza, a similar temple complex looks across to them, its back close to Sacbe 4.
At the southeast corner of this plaza, Sacbe 8 forms a junction with the beginning of Sacbe 9, which, at 22 m, is much the widest sacbe at Coba. It
leaves the plaza in a southeasterly direction to reach the important Group A (or Grupo Macanxoc), a platform about 200 m long, built on a ridge of high ground, with its surface 4 m above the surrounding swampy terrain. On it were constructed temples and other buildings, the highest being
Structure A-I, about 12m tall. Within this group are found Stelae 1 through 8, all of them, perhaps, having been reset in the Postclassic period, and placed within shrines that probably had thatched roofs.
As to the northern half of Group D, this contains a second ball court, Structure D-13; we may suppose that here, too, the prisoner panels now
lying in its alley were originally embedded in its sloping sides. East of it, the substantial Structures D-14 to -18 form Court C, while north of it there
is a plaza about 150 m square.
This plaza, from its position, must have formed an important nexus in antiquity. The long course of Sacbe 1 to Yaxuna begins from within an opening at its southwestern comer; Sacbe 6 (almost collinear with Sacbe 1) heads for Chan Mul from a point about 100 m east of the plaza’s northeast corner; and Sacbe 8, the third-longest sacbe at Coba, takes off for Kucican from a point near its southeast corner. The crossing of these sacbe routes may have determined the sitting of Structure D-6, known alternatively as Xaibe, "crossing of roads," or El Cono, in reference to its unusual conical form.
Proceeding farther to the northeast, one comes to Structures D-1 and D-2, designated C-X and C-XII by Thompson et al. (1932) (see section on
nomenclature below). Structure D-1 is a colonnaded Late Classic building with an impressive stairway, at the foot of which stands Stela 20, the best preserved of Coba stelae. To the west of it, Stela 21 is set on the north side of a small mound, Structure D-2.
From these structures the terrain rises 6 m (thus leaving Group D and la gran nivelación) to the foot of Structure C-1, known as El Castillo (also as
Ixmoja). This is a very large Late Classic pyramid of seven tiers with rounded and inset corners and a wide stairway ascending to a platform 40 m high. On it stands a Postclassic temple with three niches in its faĂ§ade containing Diving Gods of modeled stucco. Various additions to this pyramid
were made later, including a small temple built against its south side immediately to the west of the main stairway. This, a single-room, vaulted structure with three entrances, was provided with its own stairway running beside the principal one. Within the building was found the lower
portion of a stela carved on both sides (Stela 30), obviously reset since the
inscribed rear face, as found, was close against the wall.
About 50 m west of El Castillo, and set back from it by a like amount,
stands the enormous bulk of Structure C-7 (the Nohoch Mul itself, according
to the nomenclature proposed below). This is a platform 17 m high, 125
m wide, and 115 m deep, with a terrace nearly 10m wide in front but much
narrower along the sides (if it continues there at all). A single wide stairway
gives access to the top, where only one standing structure is found;
this is a building 22 m long, which stands near the front and slightly off axis.
Foundations for buildings of perishable materials line the east and
west edges. The great size of this platform suggests the possibility of
Attached to the south side of this platform are three long mounds,
Structures C-4 to -6. Close to the easternmost of these, on its west side, there is a
ring of dressed stones with an external diameter of 4.5 m. Two similar features
at Coba have been reported: a "circular stone basin about 8 m diameter
with stepped sides" on the western side of the terrace at Kucican
(Pollock 1930, 4 March), and another of unspecified diameter on the terrace
of Pech Mul (Coe and Coe 1949, p. 30).
Structure C-6 is built of megalithic masonry and seems to overlie an
extension of the southeast-heading portion of Sacbe 27 first noticed by Graham
in 1997; this portion may be called Sacbe 27A. Another previously
unrecorded sacbe (Sacbe 46) connects the Castillo with a small acropolis
lying southeast of it.
About 100 m from the southwest corner of the Nohoch Mul is a roughly
circular haltun about 50 m in diameter, with seven steps measuring 1.4 m
wide cut into the rock on its south side.
Along the east side of Nohoch Mul runs a range of vaulted rooms, and
from its northeastern corner an impressive structure consisting of three stories
of vaulted rooms (some consolidated by Benavides in the 1980s) stands
out to the east. A terrace edge running east from this defines a plaza, and
further building along this edge may have been contemplated. Within this
plaza various structures of no great size are found; one, a single vaulted
chamber, conceivably a council chamber, deserves mention for its great interior
width of 4.30 m. Perhaps only at Calakmul has a wider vault been
found. Roughly constructed walls connecting some of these structures may
have been built for defensive purposes.
The plan published here shows a division of the core area into six groups,
of which A, B, and C resemble those of Thompson et al. (1932), while D, E,
and F follow Navarrete (Navarrete et al. 1979, unnumbered plan), except
that their E and F have been interchanged so as to put Groups D and E next
to each other, as would seem logical. The numbering of structures within
Groups A, B, and C follows that of Thompson et al. with minor changes
and additions (and conversion into arabic numerals), while in Group D
Navarrete’s numbering has been followed. In Groups E and F no numbering
of structures has ever been published.
There is an obvious lack of agreement regarding the common names of
the better-known structures. In the document that the cura showed
Stephens in Chemax, the term "Monjas" may have been applied to Structure
B-1 in Grupo Coba and the complex of buildings surrounding it. Gann
invented the name "Nohku" for that structure. According to Pollock (in
Thompson et al. 1932, p. 31) it was locally known as the Castillo. Benavides
(1981a, fig. 9) calls it La Iglesia, a name certainly concordant with the continuing
practice of worship before Stela 11 by Catholic cobaeños, who regard
it as an image of the Virgin Mary (Maas 1977, p. 3), perhaps
syncretistically blended with the goddess Chiribias (Folan et al. 1983,
As for the Nohoch Mul Group, Pollock in his field notes (Pollock 1930)
refers to the Great Platform (Structure C-7) as the Monjas, and in his published
account (Thompson et al. 1932, p. 81) mentions that here again the
Great Temple, Structure C-1, was locally known as the Castillo. Peniche
and Folan (1978, p. 54) call it Ixmoja, a mayanized version of Las Monjas,
Navarrete (Navarrete et al. 1979, P: 29) draws a distinction between Nohoch
Mul and la gran plataforma, from which one deduces that he regarded
the pyramid itself as the Nohoch Mul. Benavides agrees (1981a, p. 54).
So there is utter confusion. But when it is remembered that the meaning
of Nohoch Mul is "great mound," rather than "tall mound," this term does
seem more appropriate for the Great Platform, for this, volumetrically, is
more than twice the size of Structure C-1 and surely remarkable enough to
deserve a proper name of its own. Accordingly, on the site plan presented
here, "Nohoch Mul" is the name given to Structure C-7, the Great Platform,
in the hope that it will gain acceptance, while Structure C-11 is El Castillo,
and Structure B-1 La Iglesia.
In his description of the monuments of Coba, Thompson numbered the
known sculptured stelae in a series 1 to 23 (Thompson et al. 1932, pp.
131-184). Then, rather oddly, he applied the number 24 to an altar bearing
faint traces of carving. Navarrete (Navarrete et al. 1979, pp. 64-73) follows
Thompson’s numeration, with the sequence Stela 23, Altar 24, Stela 25 (Andrews’s
discovery), Stela 26, then two panels denominated Stelae 27 and
28. It has been thought preferable to apply new numbers to carved stelae,
beginning at no. 24, and to place panels and other pieces in their own categories.
The perforated shaft, Navarrete’s Stela 26 (Navarrete et al. 1979, pl.
51), is here regarded as Stela 33. As for Altar 24, it may as well retain that
The discovery in 1996 of five sculptures set into the playing surfaces of
the Coba Group ball court (Structure B-17) has given rise to doubts concerning
the proper designation not only of them, but also of the sculptures
found in the Structure D-13 ball court. The latter included an obvious stela
(Stela 27), some panels depicting captives, and Panel 4, which, in view of
the inscription round its edge, could not have been made to be set flush in
masonry. But among the sculptures lately found in the Coba Group court
are four depicting captives, and one very tall panel, more like a stela than
any previously known ball-court marker. Possibly, then, the captive panels
in both courts were indeed made as ball-court markers; or on the other
hand, perhaps all the sculptures found in both ball courts were taken from
other settings for reuse as ball-court markers. Faced with this problem, we
have taken the easy way out, leaving the D-13 sculptures with their original
designations and giving panel designations to all five B-17 sculptures.
There is also a lack of agreement about the numbering of sacbes. Thompson
and Pollock knew of sixteen and numbered them accordingly; Andrews
added Sacbe 17, and the Coes Sacbes 18 and 19. Navarrete
discovered Sacbe 20 and showed it on his plans (Navarrete et al. 1979, unnumbered
pages). Subsequently, Benavides published his investigation of
sacbes in 1981, describing a total of forty-five. In it he preserved the existing
numeration for Sacbes 1 through 18, in conformity with his announced
principle (Benavides 1981a, p. 68), but for some reason (its peripheral location,
perhaps) he renamed Thompson’s no. 2 as Sacbe 27, transferring the
number 2. to Navarrete’s Sacbe 20. In regard to these changes, confusion
may possibly be lessened by reverting to the earlier numeration. Thus
Thompson’s Sacbe 2 will once again be its old self; the number that Benavides
to it (27) can now be applied to the "bypass" round Nohoch
Mul, which Benavides called Sacbe 20; and this number can be restored to
The problems do not end there, however. Folan also made changes to the
numeration (some are given in the table below). Since it is difficult to estimate
the priority and relative contributions made by the Folan and Benavides
teams to research on the sacbes, the fact that the only existing full
description of the sacbe system is that of Benavides makes it clear that his
numeration, as modified by the small changes already mentioned, is the
most convenient to follow.
Among other discoveries, Benavides found that Thompson’s Sacbe 14,
instead of leading straight from Stela B-2 to Nuc Mul, terminates at Pech
Mul, a short distance beyond a junction where the sacbe that does lead to
Nuc Mul branches off. Retaining 14 as the number of the sacbe leading to
Nuc Mul, he designated the one connecting Stela B-2 with Pech Mul as
It should also be noted that Benavides apparently found that Sacbe 10,
shown by Thompson et al. (1932) and by Folan (Folan et al. 1983) as extending
from the eastern end of Grupo Macanxoc to Sacakal, does not exist. A
different sacbe does take off towards the southeast, but from a little to the
west of Macanxoc, and ends at Pakchen or Mulucbaob (as named by Folan
and Benavides, respectively). To this Benavides applied the then vacant
designation, Sacbe 10.
A NOTE ON THE PLAN OF THE SITE
Since the plan published here owes many of its details to plans produced
by earlier workers, these will be described briefly. First, admiration must
be expressed for Pollock’s compass-and-tape plan of Grupo, which
his field notes show him to have accomplished in the space of about a
week, while at the same time taking notes on architecture. Graham found
his plan very helpful while making his own rough-and-ready survey,
which owes nothing directly to Pollock’s. Graham’s has its own deficiencies,
some of which are attributable to the thick secondary growth resulting
from felling of the forest cover in 1972 (one may regret that the opportunity
was not taken at that time to survey the group under favorable conditions).
A uniform survey of the entire central zone of the site has never been
attempted by a single entity. To do this had been one of the original goals
of the Proyecto Cartográfico Arqueológico de Coba (Folan and Stuart
1977), but the magnitude of the task and other difficulties that arose,
among them insufficiency of funds, eventually confined their work to a
settlement-pattern survey. The site was divided into thirteen zones; of
these, four were mapped and seven others studied in some degree (Folan
et al. 1983, fig. 1.3). The mapped zones are:
â€˘ A sector extending from Grupo Coba to Xmakaba (also known as Los
Altares), and defined to east and west by Sacbes 20 and 3.
â€˘ An area west of Lago Coba, limited north and south by Sacbes 1 and 24.
â€˘ An area bounded on the east by Sacbe 8 as far as Kucican, and on the
west by Sacbe 15 as far as Kitamna, and thence by a north-south line.
â€˘ An area bounded on the north by Sacbe 6 and on the south by Sacbe 10
as far as its terminus.
The total area of these four zones amounts to about 5 percent of Greater
Coba. In Zone I the record of minor surface features appears to be very
thorough, whereas in the other zones fewer details of miniature sacbes,
walls, etc. seem to have been registered.
Overall, the greatest contribution to our composite plan of Coba came
from plans drawn by Benavides and Robles (Benavides 1981a). That published
by Navarrete, Con, and Martinez (1979, unnumbered fold-out) was
heavily relied upon in the area between Grupo Las Pinturas and El Cono,
while details of various groups were taken from Folan et al. (1983) and
Garduño’s transects (1979). To all of these colleagues our indebtedness and
gratitude are acknowledged.
At the outset, the principal aim in defining the area of the site to be included
in the plan published here was to keep it to the minimum needed
for showing the loci of all the monuments; but then the limits were expanded
a little to allow a fuller representation of the Grupo Nohoch Mul.
Apart from Grupo Coba, the areas into which Graham ventured with transit,
or with compass and tape, have included various sacbes within those
limits, most of the Grupo Nohoch Mul, the north and south villages of
Coba, and Grupo Dzib Mul. Partial surveys were also made of Uitzil Mul
and Grupo Maya. Grupo Chumuc Mul was not examined at all. In our
plan, features copied from the sources mentioned above are distinguished
by breaks in the line at 5-mm intervals.
REGISTER OF INSCRIPTIONS AT COBA
Stelae 1-6, 8-13, 15-23, 26-32
Ball-court sculptures 1, 2
1. Stela 7 retains no trace of carving.
2. Stela 14 is badly shattered and weathered.
3. Stela 24 was found by E. W. Andrews IV, but a search for it in 1992 was
unsuccessful. The sketch of it in Andrews’s report (1938, pp. 34, 35) is
reproduced here. Navarrete et al. (1979, p. 69) listed this piece as Stela 25.
4. Stela 25, reported by E. W. Andrews IV (1938, pp. 44) and listed as Stela
26 by Navarrete et al. (1979, p. 69), was apparently uncarved.
5. Stela 33 is the perforated shaft listed as Stela 26 by Navarrete et al.
(1979, p. 69).
6. Panels 13-17 were found in 1996 set into the playing surfaces of the ball
court, Structure B-17.
7. Fragments 1-3 are carved blocks found at Dzib Mul (Benavides 1981b,
ANDREWS, E. WYLLYS, IV
1938 "Some New Material from Cobá", Quintana Roo, Mexico." Ethnos, vol. 3,
nos. 1,2, pp. 33-46. Stockholm.
BARRERA RUBIO, ALFREDO
1976 "EI Parque Natural y Arqueológico de Coba, Quintana Roo." Boletin,
Epoca 2, no. 19, pp. 9-14.
BENAVIDES CASTILLO, ANTONIO
1981a Los Caminos de Cobá y sus implicaciones sociales. Instituto Nacional de
Antropologia e Historia, Mexico,
BENAVIDES CASTILLO, ANTONIO and FERNANDO ROBLES
1975 "Cobá: Sus sacbeob y Dzib Mul." Boletin, Epoca 2 no. 15, pp. 55-58.
BENNET, ROBERT R.
1931 â€śCobá by Land and Air.â€ť Art and Archaeology, vol. 31, pp. 194-205.
1958 The Archaeological Ceramics of Yucatan. Anthropological Records, vol. 19.
University of California, Berkeley and Los Angeles.
COE, WILLIAM and MICHAEL D.
1949 "Some New Discoveries at Cobá." Carnegie Institution of Washington,
Notes on Middle American Archaeology and Ethnology, vol. 4, no. 93.
CORTES DE BRASDEFER, FERNANDO G.
1981 "Hallazgos recientes en Coba, Quintana Roo." Boletin de la Escuela de
Ciencias Aniropológicas de la Universidad de Yucatán, vol. 9, no. 50, pp.
1980 "Las Pinturas Murales de Cobá: Periodo Postclásico." Boletin de la
Escuela de Ciencias Antropológicas de la Universidad de Yucatán, vol. 7, no.
40, pp. 2-50.
1988 Coba et Xelha: Peintiures murales Mayas. Memoires de l’Institut
d’Ethnologie, vol. 27. MusĂ©e de l’Homrne, Paris.
FOLAN, WILLIAM J., LORRAINE FLETCHER, and ELLEN B. KINTZ
1983 Coba: A Classic Maya Metropolis. Academic Press, New York.
FOLAN, WILLIAM J. and GEORGE STUART
1977 "El Proyecto Cartográfico Arqueológico de Cobá, Quintana Roo. Informes
Interinos 1, 2, 3." Boletin de la Escuela Antropológica de la Universidad de
Yucatán, vol. 4, no. 22, 23, pp. 14-81.
GANN, THOMAS W. F.
1926 Ancient Cities and Modern Tribes. Charles Scribner’s Sons, New York.
GARDUNO ARGUETA, JAIME
1979 Introducción al patrón de asentamiento del Sitio de Cobá, Quintana Roo.
Escuela Nacional de Antropologia e Historia, Mexico,
1938 "1938 Botanical Expedition to Yucatan and Quintana Roo, Mexico,"
Carnegie Institution of Washington, Year Book 37, pp. 143-147.
MAAS COLLI, HILARIA
1977 "Informe sobre el trabajo de campo realizado en Cobá, Quintana Roo: La
organización social y la vida cotidiana de dicho población." Boletin de la
Escuela de Ciencias Antropológicas de la Universidad de Yucatán, año 4, nos.
22, 23, pp. 2-l3.
1932 Impresiones de viaje a las ruinas de Coba y Chichen Itza. Editorial JosĂ©
1944 "Coba y Chichen: Relación de Teobert Maler," (G. Kutscher, ed.) Estudios y
Ensayos, años 6, nos. 1,2. Bonn/Berlin.
MILLET CAMARA, LUIS
1988 "Una expedición olvidada a Cobá, Quintana Roo." Boletin de la Escuela de
Ciencias Antropológicas de la Universidad de Yucatán, vol. 15, no. 90, pp. 3-8.
MORLEY, SYLVANUS GRISWOLD
1926 "Archaeology," Carnegie Institution of Washington, Year Book 25, pp.
259-286. Washington, D.C.
NAVARRETE, CARLOS, MARIA JOSE CON, and ALEJANDRO MARTINEZ MURIEL
1979 Observaciones arqueológicas en Cobá, Quintana Roo. Universidad Nacional
Autónoma de Mexico, Mexico,
PENICHE RIVERO, PIEDAD and WILLIAM J. FOLAN
1978 "Coba, Quintana Roo, Mexico: Reporte sobre una Metrópoli Maya del
Noreste." Boletin de la Escuela de Ciencias Antropológicas de la Universidad de Yucatán, año 5, no. 30, pp. 48-78.
POLLOCK, HARRY E. D.
1929 "Report of Mr. Harry E. D. Pollock on the Coba Expedition," Carnegie
Institution of Washington, Year Book 28, pp. 328, 329. Washington, D.C.
1930 Field notebook "Coba no. 1." Peabody Museum Archives, Harvard
ROBLES CASTELLANOS, JOSE FERNANDO
1980 La secuencia cerámica de la región de Cobá, Quintana Roo. Colección
Cientifica, Instituto Nacional de Antropologia e Historia, Mexico, D.F.
STEPHENS, JOHN LLOYD
1843 Incidents of Travel In Yucatan. 2 vols. Harper and Bros., New York.
THOMPSON, J. ERIC S., HARRY E. D. POLLOCK, and JEAN CHARLOT
1932 A Preliminary Study of the Ruins of Cobá, Quintana Roo, MĂ©xico. Carnagie
Institution of Washington, Publication 424. Washington, D.C.
VILLA ROJAS, ALFONSO
1934 "The Yaxuna-Coba Causeway." Carnegie institution of Washington,
Contributions to American Anthropology and History, Publication 436, vol. 2,
no. 9. Washington, D.C.
WHITMORE, THOMAS J., MARK BRENNER, et al.
1996 â€śHolocene Climatic and Human Influences on Lakes of the Yucatan Peninsula: An Interdisciplinary Paleolimnological Approach.â€ť The Holocene, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 273-287.